My name is Jenna McAllister, I am a 26 year old lifetime resident of Prince George. I have attended both CNC and UNBC to obtain a Bachelor's Degree in English. I have been involved in the community since I was a little girl. I was active in PGYSA as a player for 15 years and a referee/lines-person for about 10 years as well. I started Girl Guides of Canada when I was six years old, and went right through until I was 14. I took a one year break and came back as a Junior Leader. I continued as a Leader for seven more years. I have been involved with the local Big Brothers Big Sister agency since 2004, and have currently been with my Little for 4 years. I am proud to stand with the community for events that support the different groups of the community. I proudly stood next to my gay friends for the Pride Parade this year, and stood in comradeship with the abused women who took part in Take Back the Night. Despite the recent negative perception of Prince George, it is home, and I am proud of it.
In 2009, I traveled to Ghana for three months of volunteer work in an orphanage there. I found the experience to be incredible, and it changed my life. I am now working towards taking a teaching English as a Second Language program so that I can help these children learn to read and write. In Ghana, English is the official language, but it is still the second language that children learn. It is the only language of the schools, and many of the children start school with only very basic words in English, which they have learned through rote learning: copying their parents.
Christian Refuge Centre is ran by a Ghanaian man who has devoted his life, and his family's lives, to raising orphans. We currently have 35 children in our care. We are not associated with any religion or international organization. Right now, everything these children have is because volunteers have raised money and purchased it for them. The children are currently sleeping in two very cramped dorm rooms in which an adult is unable to get between the bunk beds. The small children sleep three to a bed. A volunteer has just raised enough money to help build a new dormitory for the children, as the current orphanage is rented and the landlord needs his building back. However, this new orphanage building will move even further away from a well.
When a child becomes seven years of age, they are helping with the chores, including hauling water from the nearest well back to the orphanage. We use this water for baths, cooking, cleaning, and drinking. It is not sanitary, as often when the well runs low, it is common to pull half the bucket full of mud.I am raising money to help put in a well which will provide sanitary water to these children, on the orphanage property, which is now owned by the volunteers and the orphanage. Now that we have a permanent location, it makes sense that we put more money into helping the children with their health as well. I am looking for anything that you would be willing to donate to the cause. I am going to do a silent auction along with some door prizes for participants. I am currently heading off to Ghana for 2 months, but hopefully can make a great event when I get home! These children are so incredible, and deserve so much more than they have!
Thank you for your support!
Jenna McAllister
mcallisterj@cnc.bc.ca
ghanaorphanage.org
No comments:
Post a Comment