Ete sen?
Eh ye! Na wo so eh?
Meh din day Jenna. Wo din day sen?
Did you catch that? This is me learning Twi language, a relatively common local language in Ghana. Even in the most rural villages, it is said I can find someone who speaks English, my basic local language is deeply appreciated! Your task, my loyal follower, is to help me learn Twi!
http://www.twimadeeasy.com
Meh daasay = Thanks
Akwaaba = Welcome!
Ete sen? = How are you?
Eh ye. = I'm fine.
Na wo so eh? = And you, how are you?
Wo din day sen? = What is your name?
meh din day Jenna = My name is Jenna
Meh re ko Legon = I'm going to Legon
Wo bay jay sen? = What is the fare (for the taxi)?
Meh paa cho, te so = Please, reduce it (Guess I have to learn to bargin afterall....)
te so bio kakra = reduce it again a little
Yoo, Yenko = Alright, let's go
Way sen? = This is how much?
Meh pay ankaa = I would like an orange (haha, ya right.... guess I will have to learn or learn more fruit names!)
Oburoni -- Foreigner. (Yeppers, that's me! In case the blonde and Canadian accent didn't tip you off! lol)
On a different note.....
I now have mobility in both arms! Enough to shave my armpits! and put deoderant on without crying in pain! Got all my vaccinations, had a fever complete with sweats and chills, and no mobility on either arm for a day or two, but today, all is good. I think I finally have everything together to apply for my visa, but I guess that depends on who I listen to..... I made a friend on FB today. He is 18, from East Sussex and will be arriving in Ghana a day after me. So far, the only person that I have heard going at the same time. I am looking forward to being forced to make new friends, I am not very good at it when left to my own doings....
I think I have all my supplies, so now I can see how much more weight I am allowed to bring. I would love to bring several Children's books with me, I would love to bring a set of books for learning as well. We will see though. I still have a month! ;-)
I have generous donations from the Mayor, Shirley Bond (who is apparently NOT my MLA! shhh! It's a secret) and Dick Harris. CNC is going to do an interview with me in the next couple of weeks, and give it to the press! (that is terrifying to me!). Everything is coming together so quickly! But then, I guess I leave in just over a month..... it's amazing how time flies!
I think Travis and I will take a rainy day drive out to Miworth to make sure that's the ideal spot for my Going Away party (expect invitations in the near future!) and yes, you will just have to suck up that it is an outdoor party my loyal followers! lol
Anyways, help me learn Twi ok? Throw it into conversations (and expect it thrown into your conversations too!) make sure I know what's going on!
<3
ok, don't check out that link! I am not buying a CD.... I know I know... I probably should..... I hoped it had more useful phrases on it! Guess I should check into things before I post! lol
ReplyDeleteHi
ReplyDelete