I made more major headway today, in being ready to go. I don't think any of this has hit me yet. It's hard to beleive what started as a thought, less than 9 months ago, is going to be a reality in less than 2 months. I keep buying things I need, doing things that I need to do. But it's only when thinking about it that I get excited. In the middle of a normal activity, I can suddenly get giddy " I am going to Africa!" pops into my head. Take today, for example. Mom and I are at the bank, getting me a US bank account and a US Mastercard to take with me. All of a sudden, sitting with my Financial Advisor, making all this happen, I was like OMG! I am going to Africa! I know I will eventually be fully excited, but right now, I don't know. It is all just a distant dream still.... Yet everywhere I go, I am thinking about what I need to buy still, what I still need to do....
Of course, I am also terrified. I have never made a dream happen before, especially not one of this magnitude... I have been told in the last couple of weeks that Ghana is one of the worst off medically of all of Africa. The Malaria mosquitoe's are nasty little buggers, going after ankles. Polio is still active. Yellow Fever is prominent. Rabid monkeys. TB an active disease, which can be treated fully with a full year of medication upon my infection..... Not to mention the risk of HIV.... wow, things I never fully thought of until the doctors and nurses started my prevention methods. Sure, I knew I needed shots... but they were elusive shots, more precautionary than anything. Now it is dawning on me, that they are not all preventative, but mandatory...
Not that it will stop me from going. Nothing could stop me from going. Somewhere in all of us, I think there is a tiny aspect of this dream, very few of us do it. But now that it is all in motion, I cannot imagine staying here and not going. I will be leaving the most amazing man ever, but I know he will be waiting with open arms when I get home. And I know he will support me the whole time I am gone. He supports my decision every day.
For such a huge dream that is now my reality, I really need to put the effort in now....
Get laid off maybe next week.... maybe then...
Did you get laid off or is that maybe next week?
ReplyDeleteSept 18th was my last scheduled day
ReplyDeleteHey, I demand updates! <3
ReplyDeleteYou'll get updates when I feel like it Mister! Currently, the only update I could do was that I still cannot move my left arm because of the vaccinations that went it in! and I am having major sweats and chills and a bad headache to go with it! :P
ReplyDelete