Sunday, February 7, 2010

Another weekend over

With a 'S' carved in my knee cap to commemorate the weekend that Sean and I spent together, I am back in good ole Bawjiase for my last 2.5 days.

Sean, Todd, Katherine, Phoebe and I did the Vlee waterfalls -- what an amazing day! We swam under the falls which fell 60 meters and got pounded by the water. It was awesome! There were so many butterflies too!

Then the group was late and we had to split up, since only Sean and I were going to climb the mountain. So we stayed the night next to the mountain and started climbing at 7:30 am. The climb up was 800 metres, but practically straight up hill -- and we both were smart enough to wear flipflops! so we made it to the top, but really the trickiest part was coming back down. I did a lot of it on my bum. I am not sure it was worth the trip -- in the dry season, everything is clouded over and you can't see any of the views they rave about. However, it is an accomplishment of which I am proud.

Apparently the only way out of this little town is motorbikes, much to my dismay. Tro tro's run iradically and cannot be relied on in this village. So loudly announcing my complete terror at riding a motor bike, I reluctantly get on, with Sean behind me. Sean ensured me we would be just fine. About a minute up the road, the driver goes into the soft gravel and off we go. Seeing that I am bleeding a lot from my knee, he insists I get on and go to the clinic one town up -- he will come back for Sean after I get to the clinic to get my knee cleaned up. So, I do, because what choice do I have? We make it to the clinic, but it is closed, so he passes me off to another driver and goes back for Sean. Thankfully we do meet up at the same place. The second driver I felt much safer on, but obviously still terrified.

The second clinic too is closed, they are all at a funeral. I clean myself with baby wipes from my bag, and am given a bottle of detol to disinfect it. I find bandaids in my bag as well. Sean gets the same medical attention when he gets there. We found a bus the rest of the way, this village was not as desolate.

So I have an S in my knee, and a gooseegg bruise on my leg, but we are all just fine.

I have no news on Pastor, he should have had his surgery yesterday -- all the volunteers scrapped enough money together to get it done.

Agogo and I went for his check up on Tuesday, the doctor says he is doing well on the meds. But we couldn't find any of the meds until we got to Accra this weekend.... Frustrating.

Anyways, only 2.5 days left in Bawjaise and my heart is breaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment