Blogging from my patio in Mexico on my sister's iPhone because I know my followers miss me - or something self centred like that.
I miss Ghana Terribly and all my children too. Sean assures me that my darling boy who they call a bad boy has "not defecated on anyone since I left"!!!! Desmond is really not as bad as some people make him out to be nor is he the angel I seem to think he is though.
I really feel like I came to know myself with those children. They honestly are the best thing to happen to me. I plan to scrapbook them when I get home. I think about them everyday. Kwaku's belly and his laugh. Kwashie's Kwashieness. Kofi's smile and cuddles. Barbara's bouncing. Akua's big smile. Raheal beating on the boys. Agogo's ways - how is he doing by the way? Ezeikel telling me that he is going to beat me and actually doing it. The response of I will beat you and take Agogo and how angry that made him. Baby Leah and her smiles when I played with her. I could go on but I am not sure you care!
I am still struggling a bit with Western ideals now that I am back in A society that functions with them. I threw my toilet paper in the trash in London not realizing that it can go in the toilet. I also froze in London in my flipflops and pajama pants but it was far worse when I got to Toronto and exited the airport in search of a warm bed and a hot shower in the six hours I had available before I had to check in for my flight to Houston. Confused I paid in american dollars for my hotel in Canada. The first shuttle to the airport was only two hours before my flight so I ended up not having to wait in the line. Fast tracked to my gate I grabbed a bagel along the way only to board the plane and sitfor 45 minutes on board. They then decided that this plane was unfit for travel because of a tire problem. Back into the airport we go. He gate is small and has two other flights waiting for ours to depart. The new plane needs to be defrosted before we can go. In the end we leave almost an hour and a half late. This leaves me with 45 minutes to find my gate in Houston which involves taking a skytrain to a different terminal. I make it with 20 minutes to spare. The gate has one place for food and they serve oatmeal. I was pathetically excited by it - I think because Nancy denied me oats on my last day in Ghana. Turns out that my plane is late anyways there was no hurry.
I get to Mexico with no further problems and check into my $60/night room I booked on hotwire in October. It us gorgeous! Big spacious room balcony overlooking the adult pool and the bay. I am long asleep when Erin arrives but we talk a little before I pass out again.
Erin and I have had many adventures in the week we have been here - and many giggles. Our first and biggest problem was that I had no clean clothes and the hotel laundry service started at like a buck per pair of panties!!! We were told there was a laundry across the street. As we ventured there we had a man lift his shirt and play with his nipples while calling to pretty girls. Traumatizing! Turns out it was a dry cleaner and closed on weekends. Next we were told to go to this other hotel. We stop at the front desk there and try to communicate that we need a laundromat. He sends us to the seventh floor and says it's free of charge and that there is a swimming pool there. We find the seventh floor (and yes that was an adventure in it's own as the elevator only went to the sixth floor although it had nine buttons...). Here we find a swimming pool and a bar bt not much else. We ask a white lady sitting there if she can point us in the way of the seventh floor laundry. She stares at us- we must have had several heads each. Turns out there is no laundry on the seventh floor nor is there a self serve laundry in the hotel. She offers me laundry soap to hand wash my clothes. I thank her but say I can buy my own. Nonesense. We follow her reluctantly back to her room learning what she calls the hotspots of the city. Now she wants me to take bleach too. This time I insist soap is enough so she looks at Erin and tells her to hand over the plastic cup from the fridge saying it will only be a little bleach. She proceeds to fill the cup almost full and sends us on our way. She tells us to meet her at happy hour across the street tonight. We didn't go and we got rid of he bleach long before we made it back to our room! It did take three rinses of very dirty water and a tub of more dirty water for my clothes to resemble clean clothes and to smell appropiately. I guess that is what I get for nor doin my laundry much before that point - I was fully aware of how bad they were but water was low in Bawjiase!!!
Our adventures have slowed down since we arrived at the timeshare but are still crazy! We were able to check in early so we headed off to walmart to buy some groceries. Erin is just plain terrified about walmarts and the amount of people and I felt way over my head with options. Walmart was a long adventure which we laughed a lot at bit we were both feeling overwhelmed by the whole process. We managed to spend $1400 pesos on food which lasted about three days and headed back to the hotel.
We went to Taxco one day and damn near froze to death. Guess we forgot our basic weather rules that as you head higher into the mountains it gets colder. Plus, it was raining. It was a good day. The sights were really cool - it was like I walked into colonial Europe or something. However our fiesta the night before had me too tired to think. I wasn't feeling well most of the day and added motion sickness put me face down on the seat next to erin. The following day we were supposed to take a boat to see the cliff divers. It was raining and we were both unsure of how my stomach would react to ocean waves so we sat in our room and watched the boat depart. It was a small boat and we were both glad we didn't go down. The rain continued all day. Eventually Erin declared it time for an adventure. We would go see the Las Brigos chapel. We took the bus to it and walked up the hill. However for some bizarre reason only vehicles are allowed past the security gate so we went back to the road and zheaded to walmart to find more food. This time wasn't nearly as traumatizing for us. Tomorrow we are really hoping it does not rain as we are booked to go snorkelling. Sunday on the beach and Monday we are done and I am back to the real world where I will have to find a job! However I am not in Prince George until the afternoon of the 25 th
I am sure that's enough of my life to bore anyone so I will say audious amigos
Much love
No comments:
Post a Comment