July 9th, 2011
Breakfast was much easier today. The staff recognized me and let me go about getting breakfast on my own. However, when I decided I wanted a coffee, someone had to come help me. It’s a machine where you push a button and it makes it, but it’s all in Chinese! I had oatmeal/rice porridge, some rice, a bun thing which was a sweeter variety than yesterday, some bok choy and some fruit. I find it funny how when I am not in Canada, I don’t hesitate to put oranges on my plate, but the thought of oranges at home makes my face pucker. After breakfast (which I finished in 20 minutes which chopsticks – I will win yet!) I decided to go for a walk. I walked up the canal I walked yesterday and took some pictures. At the end of the canal (well, the end of the pathway) I found a garden. Again, I don’t read Chinese, but it looked like a memorial garden to me. I wandered through it, but as I couldn’t read anything, I just looked. It had some traditional buildings which I took pictures of. It was definitely a peaceful place! I came back up towards the hotel but decided it was too early to go back inside. Check out, and the bus to the airport I need to take, is at noon, so I still have two hours to kill! I decided to go down the street the hotel is on and walk for a while longer. Now when I say this part of Shanghai is quiet, I think I might along the canal is quiet. Almost as soon as I took this street (staying on the street the hotel is on so as not to get lost), the pace changed. There was still less people on the street than I envisioned, but plenty of people none the less (I would no longer describe it as Prince George- like!) I walked up the street, enjoying watching the bicycles, the bicycle taxis, the mopeds, and the cars rush down the street, along with all the people on the sidewalk. This adventure felt more like I was in China than my previous adventures outside the hotel. I walked by a place which looked like they were selling sugar coated donuts (I will let you know what they really are later) which looked good, so I bought two – one for me and one for Danielle. When I found a convenience store, I decided that I would buy water and turn around and head home. So, now I am back in the hotel, cooling off in my air conditioned room, and soon I will re-pack all my stuff that is out. It’s only my carryon luggage, but boy it looks like a lot! I look around, and it looks like I have settled in!
See, my adventurous spirit is coming back to me! It was only a day where I was afraid to do anything! I find it amusing when I am outside. Today, I took to nodding at people as I walked by, and everyone nodded back at me, and one little old man beamed at me. I guess a smile and a nod goes much further than just my smile did. Learning, bit by bit. When I stopped for the donuts, the girl looked up, saw me, and laughed nervously to herself. We got by through pointing. I pointed at the donuts, and held up two fingers. She put 2 donuts in a bag and held up 2 fingers followed by five fingers. I assumed this meant 2.50, but wasn’t sure, so I gave her a ten. I was right that it meant 2.50, but I also didn’t want to play figure out the coins in my wallet at that point! I’ve got this all figured out! LOL!
And! We have made it! I saw trees and Canfor going down the road, it made me feel so at home!
Danielle and I left the hotel just after 12. Even though the hotel saw in a panic how much luggage I had, the car did not come bigger. We had 4 people in a station wagon, with all my stuff! It was awesome. Once at the airport very early, we made our way to the restaurants where we had some Japanese food for lunch. Lunch finished just on time to go and find the others. Our message said “the information booth in terminal two” well…. there are at least four information booths in terminal two! Danielle was a little nervous, but I was just laughing. We were walking through one way, taking the elevator to the next floor and walking it. Finally, we found a group of white people, and I saw a sign that said Yangzhou. Hooray! Success! Now comes the next set of adventures. Kalyn and I went into a store to buy her water, and the store took forever. Danielle came running in to tell us that they were all leaving! We said they had to wait, so that we could pay for crazy expensive water first. When we were ready, half the group had left, but Lee (who is one of the deans) and some Chinese helpers were waiting for us. We went upstairs and downstairs several times (it reminded me of how excited my orphans were to ride the elevator and just wanted to go up and down!) Finally we decided that we actually needed to be on the second floor where we started, but across the walkway. We started that way and met one of the others that had gone before hand. He led us to the bus which was waiting for us in the parking area. We were still missing a person though, so off Lee and the Chinese men went. They came back about 45 minutes later without anyone. I guess this person had found a separate ride to Yangzhou.
Start the 4 hour bus ride. Our bus is a nice bus, with comfy seats (trotro style – one folds down to make a full row) and air conditioning. Danielle, Colin and I chatted for about half the ride about everything before we started feeling sleepy. I didn’t go to sleep but I did enjoy watching China flow by! I love how manicured everything is here – don’t get me wrong, I love the rugged landscape of home, but when light posts have four tiers of manicured bushes around them, they just look so cool! It shouldn’t have, but the amount of rice fields surprised me. Somehow, I think of China as all people and no land, but that is not correct at all (which we should all know!).
We got to the school at about 7:30 pm. Dinner was waiting for us, as were all the other international teachers. They must have been studying all of our photos, because as each of us climbed off the bus, Paul and Lisa greeted us by name which is really nice! We went up to the Western Cafeteria to eat spaghetti and vegetables and cheesecake and bananas with chocolate on them. It was delicious! I am told for summer school, we eat breakfast and dinner in this cafeteria and lunch with the kids. I am definitely looking forward to not having rice for breakfast tomorrow! I am hoping to keep the weight off!
After we ate, we came to our rooms. They are pretty great! I have taken some pictures for you! Every time I open a new drawer, I am finding new surprises for me. I have a drawer of food that the previous teacher left behind. I have lotus root juice (a case of it!). I found a piggybank which is really cute – you put the money on a fish, and push down and a cat sneaks out of the box and swipes the money! My room is also full of cleaning supplies which Kalyn has currently stolen. Lisa put together a small gift basket for each of us with some drinks and snacks in it. She also gave me what was left over of her Canada supplies from last year. This is going to be great!
Tomorrow, we have breakfast at 830 am, and then at 10, Lisa is taking us to town to buy food and stuff. At some point, Kalyn and I plan to decorate our room’s Chinese style, but we can wait a little on that. I asked Lisa where I could find a proper converter for my laptop and she said she had 2 she could give me. I have one now and she is done in China after summer camp, so I can have her other then. I don’t need two, but it’s sweet anyways! There is nothing officially planned for tomorrow. We will go to town and then unpack and relax and whatnot. I am sure that Kalyn and Danielle want to explore the grounds as much as I do!
Love you guys! Have a great weekend!
PHOTOS :
My morning walk – the hotel and the canal and the park I found
The luggage in the bus
Home Sweet Home